Sunday, June 15, 2014

Snow School

In honor of Fathers Day I thought I would share one of my first memories of my Dadeo and I.


I think I was about 5 maybe 6. Every morning my mom was already on her way to work and my dad got me up and ready for school. This morning it was snowing so hard. And there was pretty much already a lot of snow on the ground, at least enough to cover your shoes. I didn't think much of it since my dad was the adult. So I suited up coat, scarf, and gloves and headed to the bus stop. After standing there for 10 minutes I start to wonder where everyone else is and why I am the only one standing here in the freezing snow. Could school be closed? Nah daddy would've come and got me. So another 5 minutes goes by and a cop pulls up to me. I knew about stranger danger but he seems official so I got a little closer to the car. He says," What are you doing?" Now I don't remember what my 5 year old self said but I assume my thinking was the same then as it is now which in that case I was thinking "What does it look like I am doing if I am at the bus stop with this backpack on and carrying my sweet ass Aladdin lunch box with a thermos full of kool-aid inside?" But I'm sure I answered politely "Waiting for the bus." So he goes on to say, "Where are your parents?" I answer, "My mom is at work and my dad is at home." He kind of looks at me for a second. I think he may have wanted to laugh but held it in because it doesn't take much for a 5 or 6 year old to cry. And as cold as it was out there my tears could have frozen to my face and that would have the made the situation worse I'm sure. Said police officer then says," There is no school today you can go home." I'm not positive if it was the shock that I could have been at home playing with Barbies instead of standing here for going on 20 minutes or that my little body was frozen still because of the blizzard that was occurring as to why I didn't move. I finally regained movement and started to walk home.  Officer Informative drives along side me to make sure I make it safe. Although I'm sure that no kidnapper was lurking around a corner in that weather. I get home and knock on the door. Dad opens it and looks at be puzzled as to why I am back so soon. (20 minutes in the snow feels like a long time just saying) I tell him there is no school today. He unlike the officer does laugh. I think I'm so relieved to be warm though that I don't mind him laughing. We just kind of look at each other like yeah that just happened. He apologizes and I run off to play. I play all day of course stop to eat my lunch and play some more. My dad spends the better part of his day watching the news to see if school is cancelled tomorrow and to insure that I don't stand out in any more blizzards the next day. It is closed and he tells me early just to make sure I am aware and thank Jesus for that. All is forgiven until mom gets home of course... Let's just say I never stood out in another blizzard again daddy made sure of it.

Love you dad!

Tamarra

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...